59. Wang T, Zhao S, Zhu L, McWilliams JC, Galgani L, Amin RM, Nakajima R, Jiang W, Chen M (2022) Accumulation, transformation and transport of microplastics in estuarine fronts. Nature reviews earth & environment 3: 795-805
58. Ikenoue T, Nakajima R, Fujiwara A, Onodera J, Itoh M, Toyoshima J, Watanabe E, Murata A, Nishino S, Kikuchi T (2022) Horizontal distribution of surface microplastic concentrations and water-column Microplastic inventories in the Chukchi Sea, western Arctic Ocean. Science of the Total Environment in press
57. Ikuta T, Tame A, Takahashi T, Nomaki H, Nakajima R (2022) Microplastic particles are phagocytoses in gill cells of deep-sea and coastal mussels. Frontiers in Marine Science 9: 1034950
56. Isobe N, Kaku Y, Okada S, Kawada S, Tanaka K, Fujiwara Y, Nakajima R, Bissessur D, Chen C (2022) Identification of chitin allomorphs in poorly crystalline samples based on the complexation with ethylenediamine. Biomacromolecules 23: 4220-4229
55. Nakajima R, M. Kawato, Y. Fujiwara, S. Tsuchida, H. Ritchie, K. Fujikura (2022) Occurrence and levels of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in deep-sea sharks from Suruga Bay, Japan. Marine Pollution Bulletin 176: 113427
54. Nakajima R, T. Miyama, T. Kitahashi, N. Isobe, Y. Nagano, T. Ikuta, K. Oguri, M. Tsuchiya, T. Yoshida, K. Aoki, Y. Maeda, K. Kawamura, M. Suzukawa, T. Yamauchi, H. Heather, K. Fujikura, A. Yabuki (2022) Plastic after an extreme storm: The typhoon-induced response of micro- and mesoplastics in coastal waters. Frontiers in Marine Science 8: 806952
53. Ikuta T, Nakajima R, Tsuchiya M, Chiba S, Fujikura K (2021) Interdecadal distribution of persistent organic pollutants in deep-sea chemosynthetic bivalves. Frontiers in Marine Science 8:751848
52. Machida R, Kurihara H, Nakajima R, Sakamaki T, Lin Y-Y, Furusawa K (2021) Comparative analysis of zooplankton diversities and compositions estimated from complement DNA and genomic DNA amplicons, metatranscriptomics, and morphological identifications. ICES Journal of Marine Science 78: 3428–3443
51. Kitahashi T, Nakajima R, Nomaki H, Tsuchiya M, Yabuki A, Yamaguchi S, Zhu C, Kanaya Y, Lindsay DJ, Chiba S, Fujikura K (2021) Development of robust models for rapid classificati
50. Nakajima R, Tsuchiya M, Yabuki A, Masuda S, Kitahashi T, Nagano Y, IKuta T, Isobe N, Nakata H, Ritchie H, Oguri K, Osafune S, Kawamura K, Suzukawa M, Yamauchi T, Iijima K, Yoshida T, Chiba S, Fujikura K (2021) Massive occurence of benthic plastic debris at the abyssal seafloor beneath the Kuroshio Extension, the North West Pacific. Marine Pollution Bulletin in press
49. Nurlatifah, Yamauchi T, Nakajima R, Tsuchiya M, Yabuki A, Kitahashi T, Nagano Y, Isobe N, Nakata H (2021) Plastic additives in deep-sea debris collected from the western North Pacific and estimation for their environmental loads. Science of The Total Environment 768: 144537
48. Zhu C, Kanaya Y, Tsuchiya M, Nakajima R, Nomaki H, Kitahashi T, Fujikura K (2021) Optimization of a hyperspectral imaging system for rapid detection of microplastics down to 100 µm. MethodsX 8: 101175
47. Nakajima R, Yamashita R (2020) Methods for sampling, processing, identification, and quantification of microplastics in the marine environment. Oceanography in Japan 29(5): 129-151 (in Japanese)
46. Zhu C, Kanaya Y, Nakajima R, Tsuchiya M, Nomaki H, Kitahashi T, Fujikura K (2020) Characterization of microplastics on filter substrates based on hyperspectral imaging: Laboratory assessments. Environmental Pollution 263: 114296
45. Tsuchiya M, Nomaki H, Kitahashi T, Nakajima R, Fujikura K, Fukushima T (2019) Sediment sampling with a core sampler equipped with aluminum tubes and an onboard processing protocol to avoid plastic contamination. MethodsX 6: 1677-1682.
44. Okaji K, Ogasawara K, Yamakawa E, Kitamura M, Kumagai N, Nakatomi N, Yamamoto S, Nakajima R, Kinjo K, Nakamura M, Yasuda N (2019) Comprehensive management program of crown-of-thorns starfish outbreaks in Okinawa. Journal of the Japanese Coral Reef Society 21: 91-110 (in Japanese)
42. Nakajima R, Lindsay DJ, Tsuchiya M, Matsui R, Kitahashi T, Fujikura K, Fukushima T (2019) A small, stainless-steel sieve optimized for laboratory beaker-based extraction of microplastics from environmental samples. MethodsX 6: 1677-1682.
41. Takeuchi S, Nakajima R, Yamakita T, Hozue R, Miwa T, Yamamoto H, Matsui T (2019) Predicting the local-scale spatial distribution of five megafaunal species associated with a deep-sea hydrothermal filed in the Okinawa Trough, Japan. Plankton & Benthos Research 14: xx-xx (in press).
40. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, SO Sakaguchi, BHR Othman, T Toda (2019) Spiny but subitaneous eggs: Egg morphology and hatching in Acartiacopepods in the tropics. Zoological Studies 58-05
39. Nakajima R, Chen C, Iwase R, H Yamamoto, K Fujikura (2019) Clams after storms: the impact of multiple disturbances on seep vesicomyid clams revealed by long-term monitoring. Marine Biology 166: 35
38. Nakajima R, Haas A, Silveira C, Kelly E, Smith J, Sandin S, Kelly L, Rohwer F, Nakatomi N, Kurihara H (2018) Release of dissolved and particulate organic matter by the soft coral Lobophytum and subsequent microbial degradation. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 504: 53-60.
37. Tanaka Y, Nakajima R (2018) Dissolved Organic Matter in Coral Reefs: Distribution, Production, and Bacterial Consumption. In: Iguchi A., Hongo C. (eds) Coral Reef Studies of Japan. Coral Reefs of the World, vol 13. Springer, Singapore, pp7-27. PDF
36. Bodenmann A, Blair T, Nakajima R, Ura T (2017) Methods for quantitative studies of seafloor hydrothermal systems using 3D visual reconstructions. ROBOMECH Journal 4:22
35. Nakajima R, Tanaka Y, Guillemette R, Kurihara H (2017) Effects of coral-derived organic matter on the growth of bacterioplankton and heterotrophic nanoflagellates. Coral Reefs 36: 1171-1179
34. Nakajima R, Yamazaki H, Lewis LS, Khen A, Smith JE, Nakatomi N, Kurihara H (2017) Planktonic trophic structure in a coral reef ecosystem – grazing versus microbial food webs and the production of mesozooplankton. Progress in Oceanography 156: 104-120.
33. Tsuchiya T, Kuwahara VS, Yoshiki T, Nakajima R, Shimode S, Kikuchi T, Toda T (2017) Response of phytoplankton and enhanced biogeochemical activity to an episodic typhoon event in the coastal waters of Japan. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 194: 30-39.
32. Nakajima R, Rimachi EV, Santos-Silva EN, Calixto LSF, Leite RG, Khen A, Yamane T, Mazeroll AI, Inuma JC, Utumi EYK, Tanaka A (2017) The density and biomass of mesozooplankton and ichthyoplankton in the Negro and the Amazon Rivers during the rainy season: the ecological importance of the confluence boundary. PeerJ 5: e3308.
31. Nakajima R, Nakatomi N, Kurihara H, Fox M, Smith J, Okaji K (2016) Crown-of-thorns starfish larvae can feed on organic matter released from corals. Diversity 8: 18.
30. Thornton B, Bodenmann A, Pizarro O, Williams SB, Friedman A, Nakajima R, Takai K, Motoki K, Watsuji T, Hirayama H, Matsui Y, Watanabe H, Ura T (2016) Biometric assessment of deep-sea vent megabenthic communities using multi-resolution 3D image reconstructions. Deep Sea Research I 116: 200-219.
29. Tsuchiya T, Kuwahara VS, Hamasaki K, Tada Y, Ichikawa T, Yoshiki T, Nakajima R, Imai A, Shimode S, Toda T (2015) Thphoon-induced response of phytoplankton and bacteria in temperate coastal waters. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 167: 458-465.
28. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Othman BHR, Toda T (2015) Monsoonal changes in the planktonic copepod community structure in a tropical coral reef at Tioman Island, Malaysia. Regional Studies in Marine Science 2: 9-26.
27. Nakajima R, Yamamoto H, Kawagucci S, Takaya Y, Nozaki T, Chen C, Fujikura K, Miwa T, Takai K (2015) Post-drilling change in seabed landscape and megabenthos in a deep-sea hydrothermal system, the Iheya North field, Okinawa Trough. PLoS ONE 10: e0123095.
26. Nakajima R, Tanaka Y, Yoshida T, Fujisawa T, Nakayama A, Fuchinoue Y, Othman BHR, Toda T (2015) High inorganic phosphate concentration in coral mucus and its utilization by heterotrophic bacteria. Marine Ecology, 36: 835-841.
25. Yamakita T, HY, MN, HY, KF, KH, YH, TI, SK, TK, SK, KK, TK, NHK, HM, KM, HM, Nakajima R, SN, KN, SS, MS, KS, HS, KT, KT, YJ-U, KW, HW, YY, NY, Shirayama Y (2015) Identification of important marine areas around the Japanese Archipelago: establishment of a protocol for evaluating a broad area using ecologically and biologically significant areas selection criteria. Marine Policy 51: 136-147.
24. Nakajima R, Komuku T, Yamakita T, Lindsay DJ, Jintsu-Uchifune Y, Watanabe H, Tanaka K, Shirayama Y, Yamamoto H, K Fujikura (2014) A new method for estimating the area of the seafloor from oblique image taken by deep-sea submersible survey platforms. JAMSTEC Report of Research and Development, 19: 59-66.
23. Nakajima R, Tanaka Y (2014) The role of coral mucus in the material cycle in reef ecosystems: biogeochemical and ecological perspectives. Journal of the Japanese Coral Reef Society, 16, 3-27 (in Japanese)
22. Tsuchiya K, Kuwahara VS, Yoshiki T, Nakajima R, Miyaguchi H, Kumekawa N, Kikuchi T, Toda T (in press) Phytoplankton community response and succession in relation to typhoon passages in the coastal waters of Japan. Journal of Plankton Research.
21. Nakajima R, Yamakita T, Watanabe H, Fujikura K, Tanaka K, Yamamoto H, Shirayama Y (2014) Species richness and community structure of benthic macrofauna and megafauna in the deep-sea chemosynthetic ecosystems around the Japanese Archipelago: an attempt to identify priority areas for conservation. Diversity and Distributions, 20, 1160-1172 (open access)
20. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Othman BHR, Toda T (2014) Biomass and estimated production rates of metazoan zooplankton community in a tropical coral reef of Malaysia. Marine Ecology, 35: 112-131.
19. Nakajima R, Lindsay DJ, Yoshida T, Othman BHR, Toda T (2014) Short-term temporal variation in gelatinous zooplankton populations over 48 hours in a coral-reef at Redang Island, Malaysia. Marine Ecology, 35: 254-260.
18. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Azman B.A.R, Yamazaki H, Toda T, Othman B. H. R, Zaleha K, Effendy A.W.M. (2013) A preliminary study of small scavenging crustaceans collected by baited traps in a coral reef of Bidong Island, Malaysia. Malaysian Journal of Science. 32(2): 59-66.
17. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Othman BHR, Toda T (2013) First record of a blue-pigmented Acartiid copepod in the tropical coral reef waters of Malaysia. Galaxea Journal of Coral Reef Studies, 15: 27-28.
16. Bodenmann A, Thornton B, Nakajima R, Yamamoto H, Ura T (2013) Wide area 3D seafloor reconstruction and its application to sea fauna density mapping. Proceedings of the OCEANS 2013 MTS/IEEE. 1-5.
15. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Fuchinoue Y, Okashita T, Maekawa T, Kushairi MRM, Othman BHR, Toda T (2013) Sedimentation impact on the growth of the scleractinian coral Acropora formosa from fringing reefs of Tioman Island, Malaysia. Sains Malaysiana 42: 1201-1205.
14. Kawagucci S, Miyazaki J, Nakajima R, Nozaki T, Takaya Y, Kato Y, Shibuya T, Konno U, Nakaguchi Y, Hirayama H, Fujikura K, Furushima Y, Yamamoto H, Watsuji T, Ishibashi J, Takai K (2013) Post drilling change in fluid discharge pattern, mineral deposition, and fluid chemistry in the Iheya North hydrothermal field, Okinawa Trough. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 14: 4774-4790.
13. Nakajima R, Tsuchiya K, Nakatomi N, Yoshida T, Tada Y, Konno F, Toda T, Kuwahara VS, Hamasaki K, Othman BHR, Segaran TC, Effendy AWM (2013) Enrichment of microbial abundance in the sea-surface microlayer over a coral reef: implications for biogeochemical cycles in reef ecosystems. Marine Ecology Progress Series 490: 11-22. (open access)
12. Tsuchiya K, Yoshiki T, Nakajima R, Miyaguchi H, Kuwahara VS, Taguchi S, Kikuchi T, Toda T (2013) Typhoon-driven variations in primary production and phytoplankton assemblages in Sagami Bay, Japan: A case study of typhoon Mawar (T0511). Plankton & Benthos Research 8: 74-87.
11. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Shibata A, Othman BHR, Toda T (2011) Quality and quantity of particulate organic carbon in a coral reef at Tioman Island, Malaysia. Sains Malaysiana 40: 1375-1382.
10. Nakajima R, Nakayama A, Yoshida T, Kushairi MRM, Othman BHR, Toda T (2010) An evaluation of photo line-intercept transect (PLIT) method for coral reef monitoring. Galaxea Journal of Coral Reef Studies 12: 37-44. Erratum.pdf
9. Kuwahara VS, Nakajima R, Kushairi MRM, Othman BHR, Toda T (2010) Spatial variability of UVR attenuation and bio-optical factors in shallow coral reef waters of Malaysia. Coral Reefs 29: 693-704.
8. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Fujita K, Nakayama A, Fuchinoue Y, Othman BHR, Toda T (2010) Release of particulate and dissolved organic carbon by the scleractinian coral Acropora formosa. Bulletin of Marine Science 86: 861-870. ※Selected as ”This month’s feature” in the journal website
7. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Othman BHR, Toda T (2010) High detritus/phytoplankton content in net-plankton samples from coral reef water: source of over-estimation in zooplankton biomass by measuring seston weight. Plankton & Benthos Research 5: 69-73. Nakajima2010c.pdf
6. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Azman BAA, Zaleha K, Othman BHR, Toda T (2009) In situ release of coral mucus by Acropora and its influence on the heterotrophic bacteria. Aquatic Ecology 43: 815-823.
5. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Othman BHR, Toda T (2009) Diel variation of zooplankton in the tropical coral-reef water of Tioman Island, Malaysia. Aquatic Ecology 43: 965-975.
4. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Othman BHR, Toda T (2008) Diel variation in abundance, biomass and size composition of zooplankton community over a coral-reef in Redang Island, Malaysia. Plankton & Benthos Research 3: 216-226.
3. Toda T, Okashita T, Maekawa T, Kee Alfian BAA, Kushairi MRM, Nakajima R, Chen W, Takahashi KT, Othman BHR, Terazaki M (2007) Community structures of coral reefs around Peninsular Malaysia. Journal of Oceanography 63: 113-123.
2. Shibata A, Goto Y, Nakajima R (2006) Use of SYBR Gold stain for enumerating bacteria and viruses in seawater samples. Bulletin of The Plankton Society of Japan 53: 64-68. (in Japanese)
1. Nakajima R, Yoshida T, Othman BHR, Toda T (2006) Diel variation and trophic structure of coral-reef zooplankton in Peninsular Malaysia. Coastal Marine Science 30: 336-343.
Other publications (non peer-reviewed)
4. Nakajima R (2017) The role of coral mucus in coral reef ecosystems. Sea slug news letter 93, 2-4. (in Japanese)
3. Nakajima R (2014) Deep-sea creature map around Japan. In: Deep sea and Earth’s Encyclopedia (eds: Kato C, Isozaki Y, Kodaira S, Kawano K). Maruzen Press. (in Japanese)
2. Nakajima R, T. Toda, T. Yoshida and B. H. R. Othman (2004) Trophic structure of pelagic ecosystem in tropical coral reef: Which size fraction is the most important? Proceeding of 3rd Annual Seminar on Sustainability Science and Management, 366-370.
1. Nakajima R, T. Yoshida, A. Shibata, B. H. R. Othman and T. Toda (2009) Size composition of particulate organic matter in a coral reef at Tioman Island, Peninsular Malaysia. Proceedings of International Conference on Marine Ecosystem 2009, 209-220.