Ryota was born in Tokyo, Japan in 1981. He graduated from Soka University (Tokyo) in 2004 with a B.S. in Bioengineering. In 2009 he received his Ph.D. (Marine Science), also from Soka University. Ryota worked for Soka University as teaching staff from 2009-2012. By becoming interested in the deep-sea, he moved to JAMSTEC, the deep-sea research institution in Japan, as a postdoc researcher. Ryota started his work on coral reef ecology in the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, San Diego, USA in 2016, supported by the Japanese government. He moved back to Japan in 2018 and restarted his work on deep-sea ecology at JAMSTEC. His wife and he have 3 wonderful daughters.
Department of Marine Biodiversity Research Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC), 2-15 Natsushima, Yokosuka, Japan
- April 201 – Present Staff scientist Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) Research topic: Deep-sea ecology
- March 2016 – February 2018 JSPS Research fellow Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego Research topic: The role of soft coral mucus
- April 2012 – February 2016 Postdoctoral fellow Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) Research topic: Quantitative evaluation and future prospectives of biodiversity loss in the deep-sea chemosynthetic ecosystems around Japan.
- April 2009 – March 2012 Assistant Professor (3 years limited contract) Soka University Undergraduate courses taught: Basic Ecology, Biology Experiment, etc
- Ph.D. (April 2006 – March 2009) Department of Bioengineering, Soka University Thesis title: Abundance, biomass and estimated production rates of net-zooplankton community in the coral reef waters of Malaysia Supervisors: T. Toda, S. Taguchi, and B.H.R. Othman
- M. Sc. (April 2004 – March 2006) Department of Bioengineering, Soka University
- B.Sc. (April 2000 – March 2004) Department of Bioengineering, Soka University
- Best Young Scientist Oral Presentation Award -IOC/WESTPAC 9th International Science Symposium- (April 24, 2014)
- Alumni Association Award (Soyukai Award) -Soka University (September 20, 2015)
- Shiro Kawaguchi Award -Japanese Coral Reef Society (November 29, 2015)
Other scientific activities
- Public Information Committee, Japanese Coral Reef Society
- Young membership group, Japanese Coral Reef Society
- Associate Editor in Plankton & Benthos Research